Choosing Custom Wood Floors
Whether you're talking about custom wood floors or the latest in engineered wood floors or laminate hard wood floors, this web site will help you differentiate between the choices available to you. Continue reading to understand the differences in the following categories of hardwood floors.
When comparing types of wood floor, hardness is something to think about. Remember softer woods are more prone to dents, scratches, and gouges.
Hard Wood Floors
Brazilian walnut wood floors rank the highest on the Janka scale (the most recognized comparison scale that rates woods on their hardness and density). Other common woods that fall on the harder end of the scale are maple hardwood flooring, hickory, and white oak.
When talking about custom wood floors, many consider oak flooring the standard to judge all other woods by because for the longest time it was the most popular or the hardwood floorings. While both varieties will give you a durable floor, it should be noted that white oak is, in fact, harder than red oak.
Soft wood Floors
Most varieties of pine are considered soft woods. Though they are more susceptible to dents, scratches, and gouges, with proper care and maintenance, they can be a durable, long-lasting floor.
Exotic Wood Flooring
The term exotic wood flooring often refers to such species as Australian cypress, Brazilian walnut wood floors, Brazilian cherry, Brazilian chestnut, purpleheart, and santos mahogany wood floors. They are referred to as such because they come from the rain forest and were once considered rare and unusual floor choices.
Recent years have seen them growing in popularity. They are extremely durable (most of them falling at the harder side of the Janka scale) and are beautiful custom wood floors when finished.
Aside from the above solid flooring options, there is an engineered
floor worth examining and we should also take an overall look at
laminate hard wood floors, since they are a popular flooring choice.
Bamboo Hard Wood Floor
Bamboo is actually a grass, but many of the most common manufactures are now carrying engineered bamboo hard wood floors.
The top layer of these floors is made of thin strips of bamboo which are adhered to a plywood or wood product backing and then finished with a durable (most often urethane) finish.
They are durable, easy to clean, and are being toted as eco-friendly. Bamboo, because it can replace itself in as little as five years is being hailed as a renewable product. Some, however, argue those claims saying the current supply is being over harvested to meet the demand needs.
The main advantage engineered flooring has over laminates is their ability to be refinished. Lower initial cost is also an advantage shared by engineered floors such as bamboo hard wood floors and laminates.
Laminate Hard Wood Floor
When comparing a solid wood floor vs laminate flooring, there are two issues that most often come up. One is cost. Because the flooring comes prefinished, installation is less labor intensive and many find they are able to install it themselves. (Though, consulting a flooring specialist is always recommended)
The lower bottom line may be an attractive feature to a laminate floor, but it should be noted they can not be refinished. While they are a considered a durable floor, they really fall short of the mark set by solid custom wood floors.
- Advertise With Us
- Click on this link if you are a hardwood floor manufacturer, retailer, installer, custom installer and you want to advertise with us on a hardwood flooring site.
- Wood Floor vs Laminate
- When comparing a solid wood floor vs laminate floor, there are many things to consider. Let's compare the pros and cons of laminate vs. wood flooring.
- Bamboo Hard Wood Floor
- In recent years, bamboo hard wood floor has become a popular choice. As a durable laminate floor that comes from a renewable source, bamboo is considered an ecologically sound product.
- Flooring Hard Wood
- Whether we are talking about oak hard wood floors or birch wood flooring the important question becomes what type of flooring hard wood will best suit the ascetics of your home and fit into your life.
- Custom Residential Flooring
- Whether it's custom residential flooring or commercial specialty flooring you're looking for, the answer can be found with a crafted hardwood floor.
- Laminate Hardwood Flooring
- For some, laminate hardwood flooring is a good option. It can be a durable floor and the snap together (floating) varieties can make it an easy option for the do-it-yourselfer.
- Unfinished Wood Flooring
- Unfinished wood flooring is the first step to a floor that will last a lifetime. Whether is It an oak hard wood floor or a birch wood floor, we know you will find a suitable floor for you home.
- Wood Engineered Flooring
- Similar to a laminate floor, wood engineered flooring is not a solid product. It does, however, have one huge advantage. In an engineered flooring wood, a top veneer that is laid over a plywood base.
- How to Clean Wood Floors
- Need to know how to clean wood floors? What is the best wood floor cleaning product? Don’t fret! Cleaning floor wood couldn't be easier.
- Refinishing Hard Wood Floors
- With proper wood floor care, refinishing hard wood floors may be something you never experience. But if you buy an older home and discover an old floor beneath carpeting, you can restore that floor.
- Installing Hard Wood Floors
- There are several steps to install wood floors. To help you understand the process we will explain what is involved in installing hard wood floors, but many find it is a job that is best left to a pro
- Wood Floor Photo
- In our wood floor photo gallery we have examples of custom wood flooring as well as photos of laminate hard wood floors.
- Wood Flooring Reviews
- Wood flooring reviews are a good way to answer some of the questions you may have about the product. As with any remodeling or construction project there are always a lot of things to think about.
- Wood Floor Prices
- When examining wood floor prices, there is one important thing to keep in mind. There is no other floor covering that will increase the value of your home the way a wood floor will.
- Flooring Manufacturers
- There are several flooring manufacturers, whether you are looking for a nail down or a glue in, bamboo Bamtex flooring or Pergo wood laminate floor, or the supplier of a solid wood floor.
- Contact Us
- Use the form on this page to contact us regarding any questions or comments you have about this site.
- Contribute to Custom Wood Floors
- Would you like to share your knowledge about custom wood floors? Great, find out how you can submit your story or tip here.